So friend and former Institute intern Paul posted a link to 100 Essential Skills for Geeks on my Facebook page and I decided go down the list and see how many of these I could do or have done and grade myself accordingly. Feel free to do the same and post your results. To save time I am only going to post the ones either I haven’t done or have no idea how to do you are welcome to read the list here if you want to figure out which pieces of said pie I can do.
9. Use your 3G phone as a Wi-Fi access point. – I knew it was possible but have not done it. I started to look into it at one point but figured I would never really use it so why bother.
14. Swap out the battery on your iPod/iPhone. – Could I? Maybe. Have I?
22. Share a printer between a Mac and a PC on a network. – Another one where I could but haven’t.
32. Bypass a computer password on all major operating systems. Windows, Mac, Linux. – The Mac experience is hurting me in this exercise.
39. Create a web site using vi. – I could – I have a Ubuntu box sitting on my KVM. I haven’t because it seems like a hassle to do it just to prove you can.
41. Hide a file in an image using steganography. – I’ve never had a file I needed to do this with.
50. Determine the combination of a Master combination padlock in under 10 minutes. I’ve seen the Youtube video – never done it.
53. Do cool things to Altoids tins. – Never really had a need there either.
54. Be able to construct paper craft versions of space ships. – Nope.
55. Origami! Bonus point for duct tape origami. (Ductigami) – Nope and how is this or 54 at all Geeky?
57. Knowing how to avoid being eaten by a grue. – No clue.
58. Know what a grue is. – Great set me up for a double loss.
59. Understand where XYZZY came from, and have used it. – I think I might miss all the MUD questions.
61. Burn the rope. Again – no clue.
64. Learning to play the theme songs to the kids favorite TV shows. – Really? Who does this period?
66. Calculate THAC0. – Clueless but I Googled it – something with Dungeons and Dragons?
67. Know the difference between skills and traits. Yes but I think this is another DnD question.
75. Solder a circuit while bottle feeding an infant. (lead free solder please.) – The list is reaching to get to 100.
78. Build a fighting robot. Nope.
79. Program a fighting robot. Nope.
80. Build a failsafe into a fighting robot so it doesn’t kill you. Why would you do that? Prevent Skynet on purpose?
81. Be able to trace the Fellowship’s journey on a map of Middle Earth. – LOTR? I read it. Didn’t memorize it.
82. Know all the names of the Dwarves in The Hobbit. – No but I’ve called people a Hobbit before.
83. Understand the difference between a comic book and a graphic novel. – They are all comics – I guess some are worth more money?
85. Re-enact the parrot sketch. – Really Monty Python too?
86. Know the words to The Lumberjack Song. More MP.
87. Reciting key scenes from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Even more MP.
88. Be able to recite at least one Geek Movie word for word. A good portion of Airheads but that is a “should have been” classic.
89. Know what the 8th Chevron does on a Stargate and how much power is required to get a lock. I liked the Stargate movie and then it got weird.
93. The ability to name actors, characters and plotlines from the majority of sci-fi movies produced since 1968. My geekiness is weak.
95. Sleep with a Cricket bat next to your bed. Nope.
96. Have a documented plan on what to do during a zombie or robot uprising. – Plan? Who needs a plan?
97. Identify evil alternate universe versions of friends, family, co-workers or self. – I have one co-worker that I think frequently sends her evil alternate universe self to the office. I like the evil one better but no I can’t always tell.
98. Be able to convince TSA that the electronic parts you are carrying are really not a threat to passengers. – I don’t mess with them and pray that they won’t mess with me.
100. Get something on the front page of Digg. – And this won’t do it either.
I missed 35 out of 100 for a 65% or failing grade in Geekiness.
The ones I liked the best? – 10,42,62,90,92.