General Sherman battled through one in 1864. The Sex Pistols went down in a blaze of glory during theirs in 1978. But Big Gay Ice Cream has never taken a Southern tour. Until now. Tighten your bible belts. it’s going to be a wild ride!
As seen on FoodTV and considered one of the best ice cream places in the country we were fortunate to be included on the Big Gay Ice Cream “Everything Is Going South” Tour.
So the quick run down:
- Yes – we were in line for over 3 hours.
- Yes – it was awesome ice cream.
- Maybe – it lived up to the hype. It was as much experience as anything.
- We ordered a Salty Pimp, a Bea Arthur and a Shortberry Strawcake (You wait in line three hours and not get an extra ice cream.)
- Yes – I might do it again if I got the chance.
The staff was great and let Cara climb into the truck to snap a couple of pictures. The sense of the artistry they applied to their product was evident. Every cone made was done with the same level of attention and care and they had made a few hundred by the time we were served. We got a quick chat with the owner who didn’t seem convinced that they needed a Raleigh store but never said no when pressed. (He did say they were busy opening stores in Philly and LA.)
Overall it was fun, the ice cream was great and the experience was worth the wait.