During a recent trip to Asheville, I was able to visit Highland Brewing Company to discover why they are just a wee bit different. Here are a few things I learned on the tour:
- They are the largest brewery in Asheville. They produce around 20,000 beer barrels a year which makes them a microbrewery.
- They got their start brewing out of the basement of Barley’s pizza. Who knew?
- They have a kegger there that produces a keg a minute. On a normal day, they produce around 300 kegs. The most they ever kegged in a day was over 400. That is a lot of beer.
- They have specialty beers that you can only get there. They just produced a beer called Abbey Wit. They actually produced their beer with an Abbey. Fifty cents of every beer sold goes back to the abbey. Tres cool!
- Asheville has phenomenal water which makes them a hot spot for beer making! This is why so many great breweries are headed to Asheville – Sierra Nevada and Fat Tire. Awesomeness.
I was really impressed with the brewery and think they have great beer. I would definitely recommend a visit next time you are in Asheville, NC.